Re: grain sacks made into ????

SHIRLEY SCHOENFELD (saslax@aol.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 2020 20:38:17 -0600

From: SHIRLEY SCHOENFELD <saslax@aol.com>
Subject: Re: grain sacks made into ????
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 20:38:17 -0600

Hi They might have used that to keep their silverware from scratches

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 19, 2020, at 9:37 AM, mthiel28@wi.rr.com wrote:
>
> We didn’t have much money when I was growing up on a farm
, so I made a skirt out of feed sack material to take to the county fair as m y 4-H project. I got a red ribbon on it, but the judge said that it was too b ad that I didn’t use nicer fabric. It hurt my feelings.

> Marjie Thiel
> Random Lake Area Historical Society
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>>> On Nov 18, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Shirley Mook <victorian201@gmail.com> wrote
:

>> Good Afternoon Mary,
>>
>> Yes, these are beautiful. I have never seen any like this before. Can't
 imagine they were used for grains. The ones we have are
>> sacks with the name of the four on them or a pretty print. They were use
d for dish towels or children's clothing. When we did our Great Depression E xhibit, I interviewed women who told me about the sacks and gave us some.

>> I will ask around though.
>>
>> Shirley Mook
>> Heritage Museum
>> Marshfield
>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 11:28 AM Mary Dibble <mary.dibble.ng@gmail.com> w
rote:
>>> Good afternoon
>>>
>>> I am attaching a photo of one of three similar items we found in a box i
n our attic eaves marked "grain sack linen". This one is 38 inches long and
 about 14 and a half inches wide. All three have different designs but are p retty close in dimensions. They are like really long slender pillow shams.

>>> I'm assuming a frugal housewife washed the grain sacks, cut out the prin
ted company name, and then tatted them into something special. Does anyone s ee something else here?

>>> And can anyone identify what they would have been used for and what they
 would have been filled with? Does anyone have a name for them?