Re: Any clue?

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Fri, 15 Jan 2021 16:44:46 -0600

Subject: Re: Any clue?
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 16:44:46 -0600

Hello Maureen

This is Brian from Mount Horeb - you may remember me as you had me out to your museum to do some exhibit consultation some time back.

If the donor of an object is looking for an appraisal for their gift to your organization - not sure in your case - it is always good to keep professionalism in mind an to remember that museums should not give appraisals to donors.  It should be up to the donor to carry that out prior to gifting the item.  There are legitimate concerns about conflicts of interests and so on which could lead to consequences for your your organization down the road.

On the other hand if you need a value on the item for insurance purposes you could take it to someone - say a respected or trusted local antiques dealer or appraiser who specializes in the type item you have.  You may even want to get a couple of opinions.

Maureen - hope all is well with you and keep up that strong interest in local history.

Brian J. Bigler - Museum Consultant and Exhibit Designer - Mount Horeb