Re: Land patents vs County records

Paul Wolter (pawolter@gmail.com)
Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:12:45 -0500

From: Paul Wolter <pawolter@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:12:45 -0500
Subject: Re: Land patents vs County records

Thank you to everyone that responded to my query about the dates on federal land patents (certificates) vs. county records. The mystery has been solved and I have been slightly shocked and enlightened. Thanks to the staff at the Wisconsin Historical Society I was sent copies of the pages out of the entry books at the land office in Mineral Point that clearly show that the date on the certificate is NOT the date of the sale. Case in point, I have attached a copy of a certificate obtained by Chief Yellow Thunder dated August 1, 1849. The entry book (snippet attached) shows that the Date of Sale was December 15, 1847. The entry also shows the Date of the Certificate which matches the certificate.

So it took about one and a half years for the certificate to be issued. This changes our narrative about Yellow Thunder and his (now even earlier) purchase of land to become a landowner (under the US system) to avoid deportation west of the Mississippi. Something he endured multiple times only to walk back.

So, if you have a land patent certificate, the date of purchase may be earlier than you think. The county record may have an earlier date.

Paul Wolter

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 8:12 AM Paul Wolter <pawolter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with US land patent records versus county
> records? Which came 1st?? I am having some discrepancies with dates. Did
> the person who wanted to purchase the property go to the land patent office
> in Mineral Point 1st and then the transaction was recorded at the county
> level or vice versa?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Land entry book - Mineral Point - Yellow Thunder.JPG Yellow Thunder Land Deed.jpg