Maiden Rock "Selfie" Photographer/Farmer - Pierce County

Julie Huebel (jhuebel@piercecountyhistorical.org)
Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:56:35 +0000

From: Julie Huebel <jhuebel@piercecountyhistorical.org>
Subject: Maiden Rock "Selfie" Photographer/Farmer - Pierce County
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:56:35 +0000

Hello Everyone,

We have lots of members that no longer live in the area and we've heard fro m some that they wish they could see our displays online somehow. As a way
 to help bridge that gap, we recently released our very first narrated vide o to the public on our brand new YouTube channel! It may not sound like a big deal, but for our little rural county with no paid employees on staff ( only volunteers) it's a pretty big deal. I want to thank Ben Clark with Ma rathon County Historical Society for the inspiration I gained from the Hist ory Chats he does and his talk at the conference this last fall.

About this video...We received a donation of about 200 negatives a couple y ears ago and worked to get them all scanned in-house. The photographer was
 Fred Johnson, born in 1888, a farmer that lived in Maiden Rock, Wisconsin.
  We don't have many pictures of everyday farming activities, so his are an
 absolute treasure. We don't just get to see what farming was like in 1943
, but we get to see the man that took them since he worked to perfect the e arly selfie using a string.

My hope is to release at least 6 videos this year and up to 12, if time all ows. I'm still learning this video creating thing, I'm certainly no profes sional but it has been a fun process.

Check out our first ever video on our new YouTube channel...

https://youtu.be/TjZVQzJT8Tk

Thank you! Julie Huebel Volunteer & Board Secretary Pierce County Historical Association jhuebel@piercecountyhistorical.org

[cid:e0695f48-373d-4bec-be1c-8cf5e22b8640]
Fred Johnson_for narrated video.jpg