Taking a teaching position in Olympia, Washington

Grossman, Zoltan C. (GROSSMZC@uwec.edu)
Mon, 2 May 2005 15:15:02 -0500

Subject: Taking a teaching position in Olympia, Washington
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:15:02 -0500
From: "Grossman, Zoltan C." <GROSSMZC@uwec.edu>

Dear colleagues and friends,

I would like you all to know that I have accepted an offer to become a faculty member at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, starting in September.

Evergreen is a public liberal arts and sciences institution, and one of the foremost environmental colleges in the country. I will be a faculty member in Native American Studies, and teaching as a geographer in interdisciplinary programs.

It has been a difficult decision to move from Wisconsin and the Midwest, where Debi and I have lived for so many decades. We are moving to improve Debi's employment (and other) opportunities, to be closer to my parents in California, and to be close to longtime friends in the Seattle area.

We have long been attracted to the Northwest, and Olympia is ideally located close to the ocean, the mountains, and rodeo country. It is an ideal place for continuing our work with tribes on sovereignty and environmental issues. I have long been attracted to Evergreen, and had interviewed there even before coming to Eau Claire. We look forward to seeing you if you visit Olympia, the state capital about an hour south of Seattle.

I will certainly miss the faculty, staff, and especially the **great** students here at U.W.-Eau Claire. I have learned a great deal more than I have taught over the past three years at UWEC. I had looked forward to working on new projects here-- as well as on the new community radio station-- and teaching my Fall 2005 courses. (UWEC will be discussing how to teach these courses, so keep in touch with the Geography office about them).

Evergreen shares many of the strengths of UWEC, including an emphasis on teaching, collaborative research between faculty members and students, faculty and student activism, and a focus on American Indian studies.

Washington tribes have played a strong role in fostering Evergreen's amazing Native American Studies programs, including Native American and World Indigenous Peoples Studies http://academic.evergreen.edu/curricular/wdvc and the Northwest Indian Applied Research Institute http://niari.evergreen.edu/nwindian The programs' centerpiece is the huge "House of Welcome," or the Longhouse Education and Cultural Center http://www.evergreen.edu/longhouse/home.htm where a Treaty Symposium drew 400 participants last month. The Nisqually treaty rights leader Billy Frank is an Evergreen trustee. It is an honor to be asked to join this program.

Debi and I will be here in Eau Claire for most of the summer, as we complete summer projects (such as an SREU film project) and prepare to move. We will visit Wisconsin after we move, since Debi has family in the state, and we will maintain ties with communities here. I will continue to be a member of the national community of geographers, and will stay in touch with UWEC.

Thank you so much for all your support and encouragement over the past three years. Thanks especially to all the students who have been so inspiring with your hard work and open minds. Keep it up.

With much appreciation, Zoltan Grossman

Faculty website: http://www.uwec.edu/grossmzc Campus e-mail: grossmzc@uwec.edu Personal e-mail: zoltan@igc.org

++++++++++++++++++++++ Support and get involved in Eau Claire's new community radio station WHYS 96.3 FM http://www.WHYSradio.org