Re: Support Jessica

Kate Hale (halecl@uwec.edu)
Mon, 09 May 2005 12:50:17 -0500

Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 12:50:17 -0500
Subject: FW: Support Jessica
From: Kate Hale <halecl@uwec.edu>

Colleagues--

Please come if you can!

Kate
------ Forwarded Message From: "Fessler, Audrey A." <FESSLEAA@uwec.edu> Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:07:34 -0500 To: "ENGL.STAFF" <ENGL.STAFF@uwec.edu>, "0455.WMNS.301.004"
<0455.WMNS.301.004@uwec.edu> Subject: FW: Support Jessica

I thought you might like to know about and attend this rally. --Audrey

From: Janiuk, Jessica Faith Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 12:04 PM To: Fessler, Audrey A. Subject: Support Jessica

This Wednesday at 5:00 pm Diversity Education Rally/Protest Clairemont Avenue in front of Memorial High School Help Support Jessica Janiuk

This Wednesday there will be a rally/protest at Memorial High School. It is in support of Beth Franklin, the advisor for the GLBT group at Memorial high school, and Jessica Janiuk and in protest of the local community's attack on diversity education.

For those of you that don't know the details, several weeks ago Beth Franklin, an English teacher at Memorial High School, showed before and after pictures of me in her classroom. An open discussion followed for about five minutes, and then the normal class started. One person had an issue with the five minute diversity lesson and left the classroom. He called his father. His father called the superintendent and demanded her suspension claiming the lesson was unnecessary and unwanted. Getting no where there, he called the leader telegram stating "She's pushing her twisted point of sexual view on my kid." The Leader-Telegram jumped all over it.

Since then, there's been a community battle in the form of letters the editor. Some have been in support of Beth and I, and some have been horribly cruel. I wrote a column that was printed, and simultaneously ignored by the populace. Since all of this, a complaint was filed anonymously at Memorial against Beth Franklin and now the community is starting to take this even further. Just yesterday the front page article of the Leader-Telegram said
"Parents want changes Group: Memorial teachers pushing sexual, political agendas". It even goes so far to say that a group of students this past year that gave a presentation about how to properly use a condom, or how AIDS is spread through communities of people is too explicit. The article specifically says that "Memorial High School should promote abstinence and the ex-gay perspective". Obviously this is hurtful, un-realistic, and foolish.

So please, join me on Clairemont Avenue in front of Memorial high school Wednesday evening starting at 5:00. I could really use your support. Please redistribute this to as many people as you can. THANK YOU!!!

Jessica Janiuk Student Life and Diversity Commission Director Student Senate

------ End of Forwarded Message