Thanks

Nowlan, Robert A. (RANOWLAN@uwec.edu)
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 22:44:46 -0600

Subject: Thanks
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 22:44:46 -0600
From: "Nowlan, Robert A." <RANOWLAN@uwec.edu>

Dear Friends,

  I want to thank all those of you out there who've taken the time to write to me, and to call me, to indicate your support of, and appreciation for me, and for the cause of glbtq equality in this state. I'm sincerely touched by it. Together we will make it, eventually; we'll just keep working together--and fighting on. Thanks to all my straight friends out there who proudly support us, and who couldn't care less if anyone suggested, because of this support, that you yourself were, or might be, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or queer. I'm proud of all of you, as I have been of my many close straight friends over the course of many years now, who have repeatedly replied to this kind of suggestion by declaring, in effect, 'so what if I am' and, even,
'thank you for the compliment'.

  One additional comment I want to share now: I know in the past many people have told me they admire what I do in helping many students recognize that gay people can be decent, OK human beings 'too'. And, it's true that over 21 years now of teaching I've had many, many, many students at the end of the semester write to tell me, or write in their course evaluations, that dealing with me changed their way of thinking about and relating to gay people--that previously they feared and distrusted us, they felt very suspicious and uneasy around us, and even outright hostile toward and revolted by us, but that, over the course of the semester working with me, they came to realize that gay people can be all right, and to realize as well that they--these same students--can even come to like gay people. Yes, this is something of an accomplishment, but I've been working with this for 21 years now, and it's a lot of work, and struggle, to get to that point with people like that, who start from that place, and it's always harder for someone like me, coming from where I am, than it is for a sympathetic yet obviously straight teacher--even a lot harder. And of course with many it doesn't work, no matter how much--and how hard--I strive to meet them and work with them from where they're at and where they're coming from; they simply won't bend at all. I remember less than two years ago showing a term paper proposal in my English 110 class to my Department Chair, and Director of Undergraduate Studies--where the student proposed to argue that 'homosexuality is the greatest evil in the world today and responsible for doing by far the greatest damage of any factor currently affecting human behavior'. My colleagues were, predictably, very sympathetic to me, and even outraged that I had to deal with that kind of paper in a class I was teaching (as an openly, proudly gay man)--recommending that I tell the student this was an entirely unacceptable stance to take in a paper topic for this class. But I ultimately didn't do so; I told him that if he could make a strong argument for his position I would read it and work hard to evaluate it fairly, on its own terms--and I even met with him three times in my office in conferences to help him put together ideas for this very same paper in support of this very same argument. Plus he earned a grade of B for this paper, even when our teaching assistant (student mentor) told me he couldn't imagine giving this student higher than a C+ at best for this paper. And, of course, those who find this shocking should know that this is far from an anomaly--I've dealt with students like that, and situations like that, again and again and again, every semester, everywhere I've taught, for twenty-one years now--and many times the antagonism has in fact been far, far worse than that. But I've now done
(more than) enough of that kind of work myself. I myself can do a lot, lot, lot more as a teacher without having to spend so much time and energy working with people like that just to try to convince them to begin to imagine, treat, and relate to me as an equally worthwhile human being. It's now time for others out there -- students of mine, faculty and staff colleagues, administrative supervisors, and community members with whom I work and interact in many diverse ways -- to do the work involved in seeking to convince those kinds of people--especially those kinds of students--that "he's gay and that's OK, and that this is not
'in spite of the fact that he's gay' but rather 'because of the fact that he's gay'." So for those who wonder what you might do next to help out, this is one suggestion: (continue to) teach --actively-- against homophobia, and against heterosexism. And you can all do it, whether or not you are employed as a teacher or not. We need your help; we're counting on you. I need your help; I'm counting on you.

  In solidarity,

  Bob Nowlan

  Anywhere,
  any place or road,