Re: [Fwd: statements]

Wesenberg, Nancy Christine (WESENBNC@uwec.edu)
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:39:19 -0600

Subject: FW: [Fwd: statements]
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:39:19 -0600
From: "Wesenberg, Nancy Christine" <WESENBNC@uwec.edu>

For any who haven't seen these -- statements from various offices at UW-Madison on the passage of the marriage amendment. Has anyone heard anything similar from anyone on this campus? N.Wesenberg

________________________________

From: owner-inclusivity@maillist.uwsa.edu [mailto:owner-inclusivity@maillist.uwsa.edu] On Behalf Of Denise Clark Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:27 PM To: inclusivity@maillist.uwsa.edu Subject: [Fwd: statements]

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: statements Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:04:00 -0600 From: Daña Alder <dalder@uhs.wisc.edu> <mailto:dalder@uhs.wisc.edu> To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Friends--

Below are statements that have been released by various offices/programs at the UW-Madison in the past few days: from Lori M. Berquam, the interim Dean of Students, from the Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute, from the UW-Madison's Committee on Women, and from the Office of the Chancellor. A "listening session" is being scheduled for sometime next week (date and time TBD), sponsored by (at last count) the Dean of Students, the Chancellor, the LGBT Campus Center, and University Health Services.

peace (and JUSTICE),

Daña

November 8, 2008

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment and concern regarding the passage of the constitutional amendment banning marriage, civil unions, and potentially other legal protections for gay and lesbian couples. Without a doubt, this amendment will do grievous harm to the University, to members of our community, and to the state of Wisconsin.

Our ability to recruit and retain the highest caliber faculty, staff, and students has long been compromised by our lack of domestic partner benefits and the very threat of such an amendment; the actuality of the amendment will only multiply the problem. A great many of our community members will be personally and dramatically affected by this vote. Equally importantly, it is crucial that we remember that discrimination is not harmful only on an individual basis, but is destructive to the very fabric of the entire community. We remain fully committed to supporting and working towards a community that respects, recognizes the equality of, and values all of its diverse members.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank those who fought against this amendment, and to offer our support for those who are grieving as a result of its passage. As we continue to reflect on this strike against equality and to think about what we can do next, I encourage you to take advantage of the many resources that are available to support you. The LGBT Campus Center offers a safe space for students, faculty, and staff to come together, to find community, and to discuss the impact of this vote. The Student Advocacy and Judicial Affairs deans in the Offices of the Dean of Students are available to offer you support, resources, and connections. The staff of the Counseling and Consultation Center can help you as you process your reactions to and feelings about yesterday’s events. We will be offering a listening session for the entire campus community in the upcoming week.

As we reflect upon the impact of this vote, it is important that we also remember the positives: young people and students overwhelmingly rejected the amendment. A diverse and wonderful coalition of people -- Democrats, Republicans, and Independents; numerous faith communities; people of all sexual orientations; lawyers, businessmen and women, clergy members, educators, and students; and people of all ages -- came together to fight this amendment. Though it may be but small consolation right now, it is hard to imagine that history will not one day prove this to be a shameful aberration in our otherwise progressive tradition.

Sincerely,

Lori M. Berquam

Dean of Students, Interim

Offices of the Dean of Students

75 Bascom Hall, 500 Lincoln Drive ● Madison, WI 53706 ● 608/263-5700 ● TTY: 608/263-2400 ● URL: www.wisc.edu/students <BLOCKED::http://www.wisc.edu/students> ASM Staff ● Central Administration ● Diversity Education Program ● Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS) International Student Services ● LGBT Campus Center ● McBurney Disability Resource Center ● Multicultural Student Center Orientation & New Student Programs ● Student Advocacy & Judicial Affairs ● Student Organization Office ● Vets for Vets

   Subject: Important message from WISELI Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 15:10:53 -0600 From: WISELI <wiseli@engr.wisc.edu> <BLOCKED::mailto:wiseli@engr.wisc.edu> Reply-To: WISELI <wiseli@engr.wisc.edu> <BLOCKED::mailto:wiseli@engr.wisc.edu> To: Jennifer Sheridan <sheridan@engr.wisc.edu> <BLOCKED::mailto:sheridan@engr.wisc.edu>

Dear WISELI affiliates,

We are writing today because we feel compelled to acknowledge the profound disappointment and pain felt by many members of our community - of all sexual orientations - as a result of Wisconsin's failure to defeat the Marriage and Civil Unions amendment. We know that many of you personally supported the "No" vote, worked hard to overturn this amendment, and fervently hoped that Wisconsin would live up to its progressive tradition.

The outcome of Tuesday's election is hurtful and damaging to many individuals and families in our state and our community, and we hope that the city of Madison, the University, and the many campus and community organizations dedicated to embracing diversity will redouble their efforts to foster equity and to create and sustain climates that are welcoming and supportive of all members of our community.

WISELI would like to affirm in the strongest terms possible our support for all those who stood against the amendment, and most especially, our support for our LBGTQ students, staff, and faculty, as they attempt to cope with the vote.

We hope that all members of our community will be somewhat comforted by the fact that 69% of Dane County voters overwhelmingly rejected the amendment and that Madison, Dane County, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison will continue to provide the state with powerful examples of acceptance, respect, and support for the many and varied individuals and families we know as our friends, neighbors, colleagues, and students.

We close with some relevant quotes from Thomas Jefferson and hope that our legislators and voters return to this vision of democracy:

        "Bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate would be oppression."
        --Thomas Jefferson: 1st Inaugural, 1801.

        "The majority, oppressing an individual, is guilty of a crime, abuses its strength, and by acting on the law of the strongest breaks up the foundations of society."
        --Thomas Jefferson to Pierre Samuel Dupont de Nemours, 1816.

        "We are sensible of the duty and expediencey of submitting our opinions to the will of the majority, and can wait with patience till they get right if they happen to be at any time wrong."
        --Thomas Jefferson to John Breckenridge, 1800.

___________________________ Women in Science & Engineering Leadership Institute University of Wisconsin-Madison 2640 Engineering Hall 1415 Engineering Drive Madison, WI 53706 Phone: (608) 263-1445 Fax: (608) 265-5290 wiseli@engr.wisc.edu <BLOCKED::mailto:wiseli@engr.wisc.edu> http://wiseli.engr.wisc.edu <BLOCKED::http://wiseli.engr.wisc.edu/>

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Committee on Women in the University

The Committee on Women in the University is profoundly disappointed by yesterday's vote to alter the constitution of the State of Wisconsin by creating a new section 13 of article XIII with the following language: "Only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state."

We know this outcome is hurtful to many of our colleagues, students and friends, and is damaging to our community.

We reaffirm in the strongest possible terms our commitment to partner with governance bodies and campus organizations to achieve equity.

We encourage all faculty, staff and students to reach out to one another in compassion and continue working to create a welcoming environment and fully inclusive campus community.

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Chancellor's message to campus regarding the marriage amendment

November 9, 2006

From Chancellor John D. Wiley:

“Before the Nov. 7 election, there was considerable unease on campus about the implications of the state marriage amendment. Questions concerned not only issues of fairness and tolerance, but potential impact on benefits currently afforded to domestic partners.

I would like to reassure everyone that UW-Madison will continue to be a place that rejects discrimination and respects diversity of all kinds. There is a place for all people here, and the Nov. 7 approval of this amendment does not change that commitment.

But there are lingering questions about what this amendment might mean for current and future benefits for employees. To that end, I am bringing together a group of staff from human resources, equity and diversity, and other relevant areas to review the amendment and its possible impacts. I will also be organizing a campus listening session on the week of Nov. 13-17 — date and time to be determined — to hear your concerns on this issue.

The importance of this issue and its potential impact on higher education has been well addressed among major governance groups. The UW System Board of Regents <BLOCKED::http://www.uwsa.edu/bor/> , the Faculty Senate <BLOCKED::http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/13068.html> , the Academic Staff Assembly, Associated Students of Madison <BLOCKED::http://badgerherald.com/news/2006/09/14/asm_opposes_gay_marr.php> and the Committee on Women <BLOCKED::http://www.news.wisc.edu/13148.html> are among those that have passed resolutions opposing the amendment. The Dean of Students Office has also developed a statement directed to our student body <BLOCKED::http://www.wisc.edu/students/pdf/LB%20Statement%20on%20Amendment.pdf> .

There is widespread recognition that the amendment could have a further chilling effect on our ability to recruit and retain faculty, staff and students. All of us, by and large, want to work, study and live in an inclusive and tolerant environment, and we will remain committed to that cause.

--
Denise M. Clark
Director of the Inclusivity Initiative for LGBTQ People

The good we secure for ourselves is precarious and uncertain -- until it is secured for all of us and incorporated into our common life. -- Jane Addams