SFPJ & PSA to sponsor visit by Sami Rasouli March 31st for first annual Eberth Alarcon memorial peace & justice event

Pope, Karen O. (POPEKJ@uwec.edu)
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:21:34 -0600

From: "Pope, Karen O." <POPEKJ@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:21:34 -0600
Subject: SFPJ & PSA to sponsor visit by Sami Rasouli March 31st for first annual  Eberth Alarcon memorial peace & justice event

Dear SFPJ:

He's coming back!! Perhaps some of you have had the privilege of hearing S ami Rasouli, who has dual Iraqi/American citizenship, speak about his work with the Muslim Peacemaker Team in Iraq when he was last in the area. A li ttle more than 4 years ago now Sami left his Minneapolis restaurant busines s and moved back to his home in the Najaf area. He speaks both languages, gets both cultures, embraces non violence and, according to Mike, still ha s a sense of humor four years after moving back to Iraq. Mike Miles of Luc k, WI/ the Northwoods Peace Initiative is arranging his speaking tour.

This will also be the inaugural event in the annual Eberth Alarcon memorial
 peace & justice lecture series. We will honor Eberth's passionate stand i n opposition to war and aggression with this event. Here are the details I
 know right now. They will be developing over the next week or so. I woul d love to have anyone who is interested in working on this event or on publ icity for this event contact me. We have a monetary gift from the Eau Cla ire Women in Black to help fund this initial event and be "feeder" money fo r the future annual lecture series.

Sami will be at Memorial HS on Monday March 31st during the day (contact: Myron Buchholz) and at UW-Eau Claire in the Ho-Chunk/Ojibwa rooms during th e evening. Tentative time 7-9 pm He will have a slide show and almost c ertainly bring Iraqi art to sell to help finance his trip and efforts of th e Peacemaker teams in Iraq. His presentation will be open to students, sta ff, faculty and the community.

Come and hear what an Iraqi has to say about Iraq.

Thanks to PSA for cosponsoring this event. It would be wonderful if academ ic departments, units or other campus groups would like to co sponsor also.
  Let me know if you want to do that. This visit will coincide with the so bering anniversary of FIVE years of US occupation of Iraq. I'm sure I don' t have to remind anyone of that.

More details as I have them. Please start to spread the word and put the e vent on your calendars.

~karen pope

 . . . Well, I'm not giving in an inch to fear . . .
 I've promised myself this year . . . Well, I feel oh, like I owe it, I owe it to someone. . . David Crosby