List Serve FW: Policy for Collecting Artifacts

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:12:50 -0500

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:12:50 -0500
Subject: List Serve FW: Policy for Collecting Artifacts

List Serve Members - Here is an inquiry from the Jacksonport Historical Soc iety - please reply to the list with your suggestions and comments. Thank y ou! Janet

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region, Wisconsin Historical Socie ty c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701 Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846

________________________________ To All List Serve Members:

The Jacksonport Historical Society, Inc. has asked me to put together a wri tten policy for accepting artifacts for the Jacksonport Historical Society Archives. About a year ago we purchased property and are in the planning s tage as to the layout of the property and design of a museum (or a group of
 buildings for a museum). We have been accepting everything that someone h as donated to the Historical Society, but are getting limited on storage sp ace. There fore the general consensus of the Board of Trustees is that we need to create a policy for collection of artifacts, but still want to be c areful that we do not hurt anyone's feelings or "step on anyone's toes" by not accepting something that we feel would not be a usable artifact for us.

We would be pleased to hear from other Historical Society's as to what thei r artifact collection policy is or any suggestions and advice that they may
 have.

Regards Eileen Roberts Jacksonport Historical Society 4768 Hwy 57 Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235 Phone: 920-743-6415 jacksonporthistory@charter.net<mailto:jacksonporthistory@charter.net> www.jacksonporthistoricalsociety.org<http://www.jacksonporthistoricalsociet y.org>