Re: Help--Suggestions!

Meredith Lowe (mclowe@wisc.edu)
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:58:47 -0600

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:58:47 -0600
From: Meredith Lowe <mclowe@wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Help--Suggestions!

If you want people to be able to read it without damaging it, the fast, cheap and easy way to make a reading copy is to scan or make digital photos of it, if you can do so. (Although I'm not sure if you have the hardware to do that.) Also, depending on your circumstances, it may be worth looking into microfilming it. For the Library of Congress's info on newspaper preservation, go here: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/newspap.html

Lamination isn't recommended for newspapers - it will allow newspapers to be handled more easily in the short term, but it does damage the paper over the long run and you can never reverse the lamination process.

Meredith