RE: Civil War start 150th anniversary in 2011 -- ideas

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:18:51 -0500

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:18:51 -0500
Subject: RE: Civil War start 150th anniversary in 2011 -- ideas

Thanks for the great suggestions and ideas on this topic.

A couple of resources are available. First, visit http://www.civilwarnews.c om/archive/articles/2010/sept/cw150_091008.html to read a news release from
 Civil War News. There is a state by state listing of "official" websites a nd also links to national organizations who are involved in planning for th e sesquicentennial.

Wisconsin is on the list - the Veteran's Museum is the official coordinator
 for WI. You can visit their website at http://museum.dva.state.wi.us/.

A couple of good ideas have come from regional meeting round tables. Some g roups are working on cemetery tours that focus on the stories of Civil War soldiers buried in local cemeteries. Some even have North and South represe nted!

Another good suggestion was to partner with your local library. Libraries o ften offer programming around these commemorations, like book clubs, speake r series, etc. Partnering with your library or other community organization
/veterans group is a great way to build momentum and share resources.

Good luck with your plans! Janet

Field Services is now on Facebook! Stay informed about upcoming events and connect with local history and pres ervation colleagues across the state. Find us on Facebook

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region, Wisconsin Historical Socie ty c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701 Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846
________________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [ [localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Maureen Giese [renie.giese@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:17 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Civil War start 150th anniversary in 2011 -- ideas

To Local History members and Russ Hanson,

We have at the Waterloo Area Historical Society have the Diary of Henry Whipple who served in the Civil War. I am glad you are thinking of the 2011 celebration/observance of the Civil War, War of the Rebellion, War Between the North and South and any other names? We also have some pictures and a hand made framed list of people from Waterloo who served in the War. Plus some other artifacts. I think we should have some leadership from the State and hope this message can get to the proper people who can start a committee for a central contact to begin thinking about this.

Kudos to you for beginning the spirit of observance of this event! Thanks, Renie Giese