RE: Museum Usage

Destinee Udelhoven (destineekae@hotmail.com)
Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:08:30 -0500

From: Destinee Udelhoven <destineekae@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Museum Usage
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:08:30 -0500

Hello, Bill!
  Renting out your facility seems like a great way to procure some extra inco me, if all the right rules and insurance are in place, and it is an ave nue that the Historic Indian Agency House is just embarking upon.
  BUT your situation is a little sticky, in my eyes.
  I, for one, would hesitate to allow a politically-oriented group to uti lize our museum space for a public party. This might seem to indicate that your organization and/or its Board, members, etc, favor that politica l group in some way--which could potentially impact your endeavors in the f uture.
  Museums most remain politically neutral at all times, in my view. And yo ur organization would be perfectly legitimate in politely explaining this t o this group--inviting those same people to use the space or visit the muse um under non-political circumstances.
  Thinking out loud,

  Destinee K. Udelhoven Executive Director Historic Indian Agency House Portage, Wisconsin
(608) 742 - 6362 A page of history is worth a volume of logic.
                                                    ~O. W. Holmes

From: wschuette@wicw.net To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Museum Usage Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:33:41 -0500

Does anyone have experience with allowing outside groups to rent the usage of your museums for political meetings, weddings or receptions, Christm as parties, etc.? We have been asked if we’d rent out the museum for an evening, by a pol itical party, for a purported Christmas Party. We allowed it last year,
 but many of our board members now have reservations about continuing the practice. How do other museums handle this kind of request? Bill Sauk County Historical Society