Re: World War I Re-enactors.

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Thu, 24 May 2018 06:32:28 -0500

Subject: Re: World War I Re-enactors.
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 06:32:28 -0500

Hello all of you history lovers,

WWI on the home front is one of those areas where we as presenters of history often overlook the facts that there was also a darker side of the regional story during the war.  We may not know that Wisconsin was actually dubbed the "Traitor State" and that German speaking individuals that were well established state residents and Americans were viewed as suspect by some.  Patriotic fervor took many turns during this period and perhaps you will find that your hometown took a darker side of history during this period (see sedition map Wisconsin Historical Society iconography that shows areas of the state targeted and stories of the war years).

Loyalty Day parades, propaganda and local newspapers reported more than just the war over there they encouraged home front locals to participate proudly and declared those who did not as the enemy or disloyal.  Some state individuals were actually dragged from their homes and beaten by angry mobs.  Churches that used German or even Norwegian in their weekly services abruptly stopped these practices.  And so on.

I always find that a good exhibit attempts to tell the "total story" and takes an even path through the middle of history when it relays its messages to the visiting public.  It is not always the rosy story that we want, but it is the true story.

Another story often overlooked during the duration of WWI is that a serious flu epidemic was on the horizon when the war came to a close - a story often usurped by the war itself.

Keep up the good work all of you!

Sincerely,

Brian J. Bigler

Exhibit designer - Mount Horeb