Re: World War I Re-enactors.

onthelake2@tds.net
Fri, 25 May 2018 10:44:11 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 10:44:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: "onthelake2@tds.net" <onthelake2@tds.net>
Subject: Re: World War I Re-enactors.

Brian,

Good points, definitely overlooked by history classes and news stories!! Thanks!

Greg

----- Original Message ----- From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Sent: Thu, 24 May 2018 07:32:28 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: World War I Re-enactors.

Hello all of you history lovers,WWI on the home front is one of those areas where we as
 presenters of history often overlook the facts that there was also
 a darker side of the regional story during the war. We may not
 know that Wisconsin was actually dubbed the "Traitor State" and
 that German speaking individuals that were well established state
 residents and Americans were viewed as suspect by some. Patriotic
 fervor took many turns during this period and perhaps you will
 find that your hometown took a darker side of history during this
 period (see sedition map Wisconsin Historical Society iconography
 that shows areas of the state targeted and stories of the war
 years). Loyalty Day parades, propaganda and local newspapers reported
 more than just the war over there they encouraged home front
 locals to participate proudly and declared those who did not as
 the enemy or disloyal. Some state individuals were actually
 dragged from their homes and beaten by angry mobs. Churches that
 used German or even Norwegian in their weekly services abruptly
 stopped these practices. And so on.I always find that a good exhibit attempts to tell the "total
 story" and takes an even path through the middle of history when
 it relays its messages to the visiting public. It is not always
 the rosy story that we want, but it is the true story.Another story often overlooked during the duration of WWI is that
 a serious flu epidemic was on the horizon when the war came to a
 close - a story often usurped by the war itself.Keep up the good work all of you!Sincerely,Brian J. Bigler Exhibit designer - Mount Horeb

On 5/21/2018 10:00 PM, Mondovi History
 wrote: Just wondering if anyone has contacts for or knows of World
 War I re-enactors. The Mondovi Area Historical Society is
 planning on commemorating the centennial of the war at our
 annual "The Past in the Park" event on July 1st. We realize
 it is late in the game to be inquiring, but we thought we had
 a group lined up and now have learned that they won't be
 coming.

Thanks. Steve MikelsonMondovi Area Historical Society