Re: How do you manage your grounds?

FAHP (fahp@centurytel.net)
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:43:56 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:43:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: FAHP <fahp@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: How do you manage your grounds?

We have a 1/2 time paid Grounds and Maintenance Manager (paid by us) and a group of volunteers that we call the "Monday Boys" - most are men in their 70s. :) The Manager handles things that we can't "reasonably" ask the Monday Boys to do. The Monday Boys cut grass, weed whip, paint/stain, repair fences, cut/split firewood, blow leaves. The gardens are handled by another group of volunteers.

Most years it works quite well with about 1/2 the work done by the grounds/maintenance person and the other 1/2 by the Monday Boys. The only time we've had issues is when we've hired a new grounds person and the Monday Boys decide they know more than he does, so they should function independently from him. Ironically, I just finished a meeting with our grounds manager and the leaders of the Monday Boys to get things back on track.

Joanie, Burnett County Historical Society

From: "Katie Kirby" <curator@threelakesmuseum.org> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 10:20:01 AM Subject: How do you manage your grounds?

Hi list serve! The board at my organization is looking into options for managing our grounds.

Does your organization hire a grounds keeper? Does a local government provide one for you? Do volunteers do all of the grounds keeping? If it is some combination of the three, what are the percentages? What has your experience been with how it works out for you?

Thank you!