Re: Volunteer Coordinator & Mentorship Training

B Schneider (wyward@yahoo.com)
Tue, 19 Nov 2019 07:54:40 -0600

From: B Schneider <wyward@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 07:54:40 -0600
Subject: Re: Volunteer Coordinator & Mentorship Training

Hi,
 I fear this volunteer shortage is affecting most non profits. This would be
 a great topic for next years state historical society conference. And I thi nk with more technology being used to operate a museum, that scares away the
 not so tech seniors.

Brian Schneider IT and Archiving Appleton Historical Society

> On Nov 14, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Barron County Historical Society <> On Nov 14, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Barron County Historical Society <museum1@chi
bardun.net> wrote:

> Fellow Museums,
>
> It has become evident to us that we need to address the rapid loss of the a
bility to teach many of the traditional skills that we demonstrate at the Pi oneer Village. We now have a Print Shop without a volunteer who is capable p rinting. Our soap maker is 92 and only comes for 4 hours, one day a summer.
  We have two brothers who operate the equipment in our box factory, and the
 youngest brother is in his mid-eighties.

> We identified the need to engage a volunteer coordinator and to have a men
torship program that will focus on passing these skills on. Do any of you h ave a similar plan in place or experience in this area. We feel that we nee d a formal plan, because we have discussed and encouraged this for a long ti me, but without a set plan of how to actually get it done, only the very pop ular skills are getting passed down (blacksmithing, rug weaving, etc.). We w ould also appreciate it if you have a job description for a Volunteer Coordi nator, whether that is a paid or unpaid position. Thank you.