Re: Archival Supplies

Danielle Benden (danielle@driftlesspathways.com)
Fri, 12 Jun 2020 10:10:57 -0500

From: Danielle Benden <danielle@driftlesspathways.com>
Subject: Re: Archival Supplies
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 10:10:57 -0500

Hi Donna,

Excellent question. Some companies will use the term “archival
generically and you have to be careful with it, because sometimes materi als marked “archival” are not stable long-term. Instead look s for these terms when companies describe their products: “acid-free
,” “lignin-free,” “inert.” If you ca n’t find this information on a company’s website, just call a nd ask them. For plastics, “safe” plastics include “ polyethylene” and “polypropylene”. Stay away from s tyrene and other “bad” plastics listed in this Conserve-O-Gr am: https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/18-02.pdf

Indeed, as someone else has mentioned, some plastic tubs from target and Wal mart are safe. Again, look for polypropylene and polyethylene plastics. Also
, there are several things to consider when deciding what materials to use f or storage. That’s really important, because some materials/artifact s don’t do well stored in plastics, even the good kind. Lots to cons ider and I think it’s great that your historical societies are think ing through these important considerations. I’m here to answer addit ional questions if you have them. Feel free to contact me offline if you wis h.

Sincerely, Danielle Benden, Owner Driftless Pathways, LLC 608.284.8907

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 11, 2020, at 10:23 PM, B Schneider <wyward@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> We have been using plastic containers that are archival safe that
 can be purchased at Target, Homedepot, ect.

> Brian Schneider
>
>> On Jun 11, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Olive Gross <gross622@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello! We use Gaylord Archival. Excellent service, very customer oriented
. Great products. We have ordered many boxes & other supplies from them and b een very satisfied, Also if you are an affiliate member of the Wisconsin His torical Society you get an 18% discount on Archival Supplies & 10% off on Fu rniture & Equipment. We have been very satisfied with this company. Go to Ga ylord.com; PH: 1.800.448.6160.

>> Good Luck
>>
>> Olive Gross, President Bark River Woods Historical Society

>>> We are ready to begin the task of choosing appropriate storage boxes for
 our textiles. They are expensive!
>>> Even using resources recommended by Wisconsin Historical Society, one bo
x is $45. Yes, we will be very selective on the items we will store in
>>> these containers, it's still alot of money. I've ordered a catalog from
 University Products, and we have a Demco catalog.

>>> Does anyone have other sources I should be looking for? Our two main fo
cus areas are textiles and maps.